Tuesday, June 23, 2009

C-section or natural?

To C-section or not to C-section, that is definately the question on many mothers-to-be lips.
I had a C-section with my first baby, James and it looks like I might have to have another with this second baby because I'm having them so close together. We really just have to wait until the last minute according to my doctor (I'm quite sure he knows what he's on about).
I know this sounds crazy, but I would actually really like to go ahead and try to have a natural birth this time. Women have been doing it for thousands of years, loooong before there was anyone else to help them, stitch them up, or give them drugs for the pain. I hated having a C-section, particualy because I laboured for a very long time (32 hours on and off) and I felt a bit robbed by not having a vaginal delivery. And getting over major surgery, which takes weeks, is a bit of a pain in neck when a new mother has so much to do.
But, I'm really scared of a natural birth at the same time. What if I'm not tough enough?
I'd love to know what you all think and I'd love to hear from women who have had both naural and C-section deliveries. I want some first hand, front line accounts!
Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. You need to read the book 'Silent Knife' it is an older book but very pertinent still. Close together babies is no reason to be talked into major abdominal surgery. If you can't get a copy of the book, google VBAC and see why thousands of women choose to fight for their right for a vaginal birth after caeserean. It's safer and better for baby and you - especially when you have a baby at home already. All the best.

    ReplyDelete